Thursday, February 5, 2015

Exploring Singapore: Scenic Running

I am used to going running with my mother.

My mother has been a runner since she was twelve or thirteen, or perhaps even younger. She's been a marathoner for as long as I can remember- she's done Seattle, Boston, New York and Mesa Falls in Idaho, to name a few (she's run around 14 marathons, I think). My grandfather was a runner. All my aunts and uncles on my mom's side of the family run, and all four of my cousins ran at some point in high school, as did both of my little sisters. And me, obviously. My dad is more of a biker and once did an Ironman, but we count him as a runner as well.

Basically, my family is full of runners, and it's convenient to run with each other. The person in my family I always ran most with, living back home, was my mom, but for more than just convenience. I was never one of those high schoolers who thinks their parents are out to get them or something, and I am not embarrassed to count my mother among my best friends. We used to use our runs as a time to talk, catch up and just enjoy each other's company. This ritual took us to some pretty cool places, including one memorable run at the ocean during which we ran up/down cliff-like things, on sand, on stairs, on gravel, on bark, on cement, and I-don't-even-remember-what-else on the same run. It was phenomenal. We've run past lighthouses on the beach, across downtown Seattle and Chinatown, around lakes, through camping grounds, in parks and on roads... Something we have in common is our love of the run and where it takes us. Last year we were both in New York at different times, but both of us were ridiculously excited because we got to run in Central Park and around the reservoir! Even though we ran there at different times, it was this cool connection we had, being so excited about this one iconic running spot.

So it's really weird for me to run all the time in Singapore and never be able to take my mother with me. I never have a camera on me while I'm running, so whatever I see I can only describe to her when we chat on Facebook.

This is not sufficient. I've been very tempted to strap a camera to my forehead and just film my entire run, regardless of the fact that this might actually make for a very boring video. But I had to figure out SOME way to show my mom these amazing places I've been running through...

So the other day I picked one of my running routes, a favorite of late, and walked the entire 5 mile route through Hort Park just to get some pictures. I couldn't deal with making all that effort for a few quick Facebook snaps, so I'm also crafting a blog post out of it.

This park is beautiful. The runs I go on here are always fun. I hope you enjoy looking at these places as much as I enjoy running through them. There's really not much more to say, so I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

And mom, this post is for you. :)


































































Okay, I lied, I have one last thing to say- this little café in the park is FANASTIC. It's an entirely outdoor cafe with fans and flowers and potted things I can't identify, great coffee, and classic (not classical, we're talking Jackson 5 and Elvis) music coming out of an old radio. Best place in Singapore to find a couch, sip some delicious iced coffee and hang for a while :)


No comments:

Post a Comment