Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Travel Diaries: Texas


I expected Texas to be warm, but the week my boyfriend and I spent visiting my family was as cold, if not colder, than Seattle. Go figure. 

Still, I love nothing more than a good adventure, no matter how small, and it was fun to explore Houston's suburbs. 




All the holiday lights were still lit up, so the first night we took a (COLD) walk through a shopping village with a river thing running through it. It was a fun find in the midst of a bunch of stores!

Unfortunately most of the trip we had pretty dreary weather, so we spent most of our time indoors with my family. We got to cook a lot- we made lasagna, crepes, and Indian curry! And we went to a ton of museums and antique stores. 

But my favorite day by far was when we drove to Galveston, and the sun came out. It was bitter cold, freezing without the wind and ten times worse when it hit you. But it was beautiful! Plus Texas seashells are so much better than Washington ones.



We didn't last very long at the beach, because of the weather. I mean, I was wearing snow boots with wool socks, a hat, gloves, a t-shirt, 2 wool long sleeve shirts and a wool sweater, PLUS a raincoat with a hood that covered everything except my nose and eyes. I was STILL COLD.

So we headed into town to check out some old architecture and shops.


After chatting with a woman at a crystal shop about angels, we made one more stop at the beach to glance at Pleasure Pier (which sounds dirtier than it is) and the jetty next to it. Pleasure Pier is the amusement park home to Bubba Gump Shrimp. We didn't want to spend the money to go out on the pier, but it was pretty to look at!





It was strange to see Texas in the cold, because it was so different than what I had pictured. Plus I'm used to travelling internationally, so getting off a plane and still being in the US was pretty odd! Nonetheless, it was fun to explore a US city I'd never been to- and of course, to see my family, which was the point of the whole thing.

I'm kind of thinking of going to Mexico for my next big adventure.... Anyone have a favorite city or beach down there to explore? Let me know in the comments! As always, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment