Wednesday, May 24, 2017

"Freakin' Awesome" Gluten-Free Granola



Hi friends!

I'm excited to be sharing with you today this incredibly simple, easy and delicious granola recipe. I can't believe I haven't been making this more often!

Last week I was at my favorite coffee shop, as usual. I was really hungry, and due to the lack of gf/dairy free options at most cafes I don't normally bother with their food displays. But this time I noticed they had granola, took a moment to check if it was gluten free, and ended up gobbling a bowl of it with almond milk.

It was DELICIOUS and all I could think was "I could make this!"

Many store-bought granolas aren't gluten free, have additives like corn syrup or other processed sugars, and aren't that good for you. I mean, even the healthiest granola is still a fairly sugary affair, natural or no. Still, if you are health conscious and love granola...

Well, "freakin' awesome" is what my boyfriend called this one.

"Freakin' Awesome" Gluten-Free Granola*

*all ingredient amounts are subject to personal preference

2 cups gluten free oats
1 cup cashews (halved)
3/4 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt
1 tsp cinnamon
4 tablespoons melted coconut oil (enough to coat the granola)
4 tablespoons maple syrup (again, enough to coat everything in a thin layer)
1 cup coconut flakes
3/4 cup goji berries

optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking tray with unbleached, compostable parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, stir together oats, cashews, pumpkin seeds, salt and cinnamon.
3. Stir in coconut oil and maple syrup until all ingredients are coated.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so. It might take more or less time depending on your oven and any amount adjustments you've made.
5. 2-3 minutes before you think it will be done  (done = golden and toasted but not burnt), pull the tray out and stir in the coconut flakes.
6. Let cook for a few more minutes, watching to make sure the coconut flakes don't burn.
7. Remove from oven and stir in goji berries. Let cool.
8 AFTER 100% cool, you can add chocolate chips if you like.

This is delicious with cold almond milk. Usually I make my own by blending raw, unsalted creamy almond butter with water, but if you're in a hurry New Barn makes an affordable (4.99 for 28oz at Whole Foods) unsweeteened almond milk. It does have acacia gum in it, but it's the cleanest packaged almond milk I can find at that price point. Three Trees does make a delicious almond milk with only almonds and water, but it retails at 8.99 for 34 oz. Only about 10 cents more per ounce, I guess, but it adds up.

Top with raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, a scoop of almond butter, popped amaranth or quinoa, flax or chia seeds... The options are endless.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment