Saturday, June 10, 2017

you can always change your mind

Alex Wolfe

I used to cling to this idea of being a writer, that it was my calling.

But someone told me recently that although I can write well, I have room to improve.

Of course, I thought. I'm not perfect. I spent a few minutes considering how I was going to set abuot becoming a great writer when I realized- I don't really care to.

I like the way I write.
Maybe I don't want to be a great writer.
Maybe I just want to write.

I love what it does for my mind, my soul, my energy.

But... it's not something I want to spend hours developing into my everything. It's not that kind of passion.

Yes, I'd like to publish something. But I don't want to become a novelist, something I spent most of my life expecting to become. I don't want to write fiction, which, growing up, I saw as the pinnacle of literary success.

I want to be able to share things.

I want to write what feels natural and authentic.

I shouldn't say I don't want to improve my writing. I do. But I don't want to study it like a bug under a microscope, labeling all its pieces and nuances. I'll read great writing and note the things that make it beautiful, try to bring those into my own writing. I'll think about what I wish I was reading and write that, but I don't want to try to be the best writer. That's not my goal. My goal is to share beautiful things, and the things often take precedence over the writing.

But I'm getting distracted. The point is this- I always, ALWAYS thought I would be a writer. A novelist, an author, a very specific breed of person,

Turns out, that's not at all what I want.

But that's fine. Because guess what?

You can always change your mind.

Alex Ronsdorf

No matter where you are in life, what you have or haven't done, there is always another opportunity, another chance, another form of whatever you love that you can turn to.

I've realized I love blogging. I love learning how to edit code and personalize my designs. I love sharing my experiences and hearing from people who want to be part of a conversation. I've realized I love photography and visuals, and how critical it feels to me to have designs and themes that match my words.

I also love running, and cooking super healthy meals, and exploring every little nook and cranny I can find.

I'm trying to build a career where I can do those things every day... because I don't want to spend all day, every day, just writing.

Who knew?

This is all a big reminder that, no matter what, you can always start over. You can always try something new.

Too often we trap ourselves in numbers- how much money we have, how many cars, the amount of ideas we come up with, or the amount of things we wish we'd done or haven't done, We think that if we want to change we have to go all out, it has to be big and immediate. We worry what people will think of us.

We waste so much time trying to figure it all out that we end up with less time to actually do the things that will change and improve our lives.

Let's stop all that, right now.

There is always another chance. Another opportunity to try something new, return to something long-forgotten.

We do, of course, have a limited amount of time and energy while we're here on earth. But you cannot embrace the present or build your future while obsessing about the past. Every step of your life has brought you HERE, to this point. Let any mistakes or troubles become the foundation on which you build the empire of your life.

Remember-
you are always free
to change your mind.

George Bohunicky

No comments:

Post a Comment